Deutsch

2b The state of Kurtrier

The archbishopric and electorate of Trier was reigned by an elector. He was sovereign and archbishop at the same time. The bishopric itself was larger than the area of his secular power. After the chapter had elected him he has been appointed archbishop by the Pope and elector by the emperor. Although his function was quite mundane the sovereign was advised by a court council and mostly reigned absolutistic since the 16th century. The last archbishop and elector of Trier, Clemens Wenceslaus of Saxony (1739-1812), commissioned an electoral palace close to the bank of the Rhine in Koblenz. He has been residing in the city since 1786. The relocation of the court and the clerical regency changed the perception of the people of Koblenz. In addition there were numerous royalists who emigrated from France and took shelter at the court. In 1794 the biggest part of the electorate was occupied by French revolutionary troops during the War of the First Coalition. The territories on the left bank of the Rhine were affiliated to France in 1801 and so the departments of Sarre (administrated in Trier) and Rhin-et-Moselle (ad- ministrated in Koblenz) were established. In 1893 the territories on the right bank of the Rhine fell to Nasau-Weil- burg and consequently Clemens had to flee.